Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Nothing like the smell of manure in the classroom...

Last night, some farmers took loads of manure and spread them all over the fields around our school.  Today was very foggy and moist, so the smell just sat there and permeated the building.  Since today is Wednesday, our school had chapel over at church.  Not everyone enjoyed walking through the wall of smell.  Thankfully, the wind started blowing a bit and moved the smell around. 

My classroom got pretty toasty once again, but instead of cracking the door (like I did yesterday), I opened one of the windows.  At first I didn't think the smell was coming in, but when the 7th and 8th graders came for science, they said it smelled gross.  It's probably just as well that I left the door closed. 

There are still flies buzzing around my head!  My two 6th grade boys immediately grabbed the flyswatters this morning and started hunting.  They kept finding more and more.  And then one of them had a sudden inspiration, "Hey Miss Heintz! Guess what? We're going to save all the dead flies and make them into a Christmas present for you."  Wow, what do you say to that?  I ended up replying, "If you do, I will keep it and love it because you made it."  The other boy said, "Yeah, we'll gather them all up and spread them all over her desk." 

Speaking of presents... the first and second graders gave me a whole bunch of new drawings they had just finished (probably because I was late to art again; those 7th and 8th graders just suck up all the time!).  The lovely drawings are currently hanging on the wall by my computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment