Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Tangled up in Volleyball

Ufda, today was a day that kept on going!  

School was good. Lots of questions, lots of tangents... but lots of learning too, so it's all good.  We picked Student Council members, one from 5th and one from 6th.  There was a tie for the 6th grade nominee... both boys in my room ran for 'office', and since it was a tie, I had them give a campaign speech.  Surprisingly, both boys were very civil about it and even shook hands before the final vote.  The winner won by only one vote, but even so, they were both good sports.  

Our first volleyball practice was after school and we had troubles.  First, the 7-8th graders hadn't set up the nets like I had asked.  Second, the net was all knotted and tangled up.  Mr. E couldn't even get it undone!  I sat there while another coach ran practice, working at it until I finally got it straightened out.  Third, the covers over the holes for the net posts had been covered with floor wax.  We had to use a box cutter to scrape out the wax and pry the covers up before we could put up the net.  So I got in on the last half an hour of practice.  

Right after practice I had to zip in to New Ulm for a chiropractor appointment and then ran errands.  I went all over town and didn't get home until about 8:15.  My prescriptions for Guatemala were in at HyVee, so since I was there I got a flu shot.  Blech, I hate shots.  Now my arm is sore.  I have to get another one from the doctor in a few weeks in preparation for Guatemala, so the fun's not over yet!  

Of course I stopped at the library.  I checked out way too many books... when will I have time to read them!  And I also had a lovely chat with the children's librarian there.  We talked Summer Reading Program, NaNoWriMo, edible book festival, Writer's Workshop, Daily 5, and a whole bunch of other stuff.  She actually knows stuff about Writer's Workshop!  Yay! Someone to bounce ideas off!  And she used it in her classroom for many years.  I took notes while we talked and have a bunch of new ideas for my class now.  She thought my class should bring some of our finished written things to the library to have on display (another way to 'publish' them).  Awesome idea!

When I got home, I discovered that the lid was not on my two gallon water cooler tight enough, and it had tipped over on the way home, so all two gallons of water drained out into my car seats.  Great.  

But, to end on a positive, I have internet at home now!  My friend who works at MVL knew I was looking for internet at home to finish up my freelance writing gig from this summer, and she also knew a teacher from MVL lived in my apartment building.  So she asked this teacher if she'd be willing to share internet with me.  The teacher said yes! So I'm paying part of her bill in exchange for the internet password.  Yay! 

So far I've been too busy to do much freelance writing, but maybe next week will slow down some...

No comments:

Post a Comment