Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Weeds

Day two went much like day one, although it wasn't quite so hectic. Science with the 5-6th graders was awesome! I remembered to bring a plant from home along...

This summer I've experimented with container gardening a bunch. One of the things I tried growing was a bleeding heart bush planted from a root. I thought it was coming along nicely, but a few weeks ago I had the sneaking suspicion it wasn't a bleeding heart... The leaves didn't look like the picture on the box for one thing. I tugged on the stem by the roots a little to see what kind of roots it had. The bleeding heart I planted was more of a tuber or tap root. This plan has fibrous roots (which we learned about yesterday). So. I looked it up on a plant id app and found what I've been tenderly caring for is a mustard weed. Aw man! Still, it's the best looking mustard weed in Courtland, maybe even the state!

It's been a handy teachable moment for my kiddos: a refresher on the types of roots, talking about what makes a plant a weed, soon we'll talk about leaves and I can use it as an example of whorled leaf placement. So, I'm not pulling it out yet. Someday though. Not sure what else I'm going to plant in its place. I'm sure I'll come up with something!

No comments:

Post a Comment