Friday, March 23, 2012

First Grade Friends

One of my students has a brother in 1st grade.  I don't really know much about him, but as I was observing today, he made some really funny comments.  Their teacher had asked them what are some signs that it's spring.  This little guy piped up right away, "You get tons of tornado warnin's and you have to spend hours in the basement playin' uno."  Note: this was said all in one breath with the same high enthusiasm.

A lot of singing goes on in first grade.  Their class was singing a song called "The Number Rock" which apparently required all the first grade boys to get out their air guitars and jam through the song in its entirety.  Of course at the end they all enthusiastically smashed their "guitars" on the ground.  One boy described it as "breaking it down."

During lunch, my supervising teacher asked me what my plans were for the afternoon.  I said I didn't have any plans and asked if she had something for me to do.  She kind of laughed and basically told me I couldn't be in the classroom until after PE.  I figured they were probably doing something as a going away present/celebration thing, so it would be better if I weren't around.  I observed my class in PE and some of them were acting really suspicious.  When I got back to the classroom, I noticed some half-decorated cards in the recycle bin with my name misspelled.  Hmm.  I think I figured out what they were doing while I was gone.  Now I just need to figure out something to do for them.  Should I bring treats? Make bookmarks? Write them each a note? 

No comments:

Post a Comment