Saturday, April 14, 2012

Mystery Class

Before I started teaching this clinical, I was poking around on my supervising teacher's website and was quite intrigued by her lesson plan schedule for the week.  About every other day was a thing called "Mystery Class."  I had no idea what it could be, but I soon found out.  


All semester, Mrs. B's students have been deciphering data and recording the sunrise and sunset times of ten different locations around the globe.  No one has any idea where they might be located, but that's the mystery my students are trying to solve.  They've used their data to pinpoint the longitude of the locations and are currently in the process of using cultural clues (submitted by actual schools in other countries) to narrow down the continent, country, and city.  They'll turn in their answers on April 27th and then the Mystery Class schools will be revealed.  

Typically our science classes do Mystery Class on Fridays, but we're planning extra days next week to make sure the students have enough time to put everything together.  The last set of cultural clues was made available, so my students were fully equipped to find those cities!  

Some boys were really impressive in their map skills; using the few geographical clues given in the cultural clues, they looked on an atlas until they figured out the city.  Mrs. B and I are kind of on a competition now.  I had roughly three figured out and she had about the same.  Good nerdy fun, that's what she calls it.  It's a good thing I'm a nerd, because I can't wait to figure out the rest of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment