Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Well, this has been a fun day...

Last night I got a call saying New Ulm was going to be two hours late.  So our school would be two hours late, but I'd still need to be there for the students who ride the Nicollet bus (since they had school).  The forecast said it would be -32 degrees and windy, blizzard-like conditions, so I was pretty sure Nicollet would call school two hours late.

This morning.  Alarm clock went off.  School announcements read.  No Nicollet.  Ugh.  I stayed in bed for an extra ten minutes, hoping they'd make the call and I wouldn't have to get up.  Nothing.  So I got ready for school, ate breakfast, and trundled out the door.

It wasn't too bad in the parking lot or in town, but as soon as I got on the country road to school, the snow started blowing around and it was kind of hard to see.  It wasn't sticking on the road, so I didn't have any troubles making it to school.

The bus came and I had one 6th grader show up.  He wanted to know what we were going to do for two hours.  I had written a list of things to do on the board, but of course he didn't want to do any of them.  We ended up hanging a Period Table of Elements poster on the wall.  Then he found out that other students were in the gym being watched by Mr. O (our school's para) and one of the other teachers.  So I let him go play.

About ten minutes later we found out that New Ulm cancelled school, thereby cancelling our school day.  What to do with the 10 kids still left at school?  Call their parents to see if they could come pick them up...  Mr. E is going to drop a bunch off as well as Mrs. T on her way home.  Mr. O is taking a few and our school cook is going to take her grandkids home with her.  So all the students are accounted for.  Now it's just a question of how long I should stay at school working on stuff.  Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment