Thursday, May 1, 2014

#15

Grumpy Cat? Ha, try Grumpy Teacher!  I think all of us teachers were feeling this by the end of the day. 


Mr. E was gone again today.  Since we had so many things planned for the day, he didn't get a substitute.  Instead, I watched his class for the first half hour of the morning until Pastor came to do religion.  (My 5th graders hung out in our classroom with Ms. J until the bell rang.)  We did flag pledges and devotions together and then waited around for Pastor to arrive.  Once he did, the 5th graders and I went back to our room, did a skit for religion, and then did our read-aloud/piñata time. 


Mrs. M had to borrow one of my boys to go over to church to test a microphone that wasn't sounding very clear.  She wanted to use the student who actually uses that microphone, but he was sick today!  So one of my boys filled in.  Mr. D has been running the sound system for the musical, so he went too.  Ms. J watched their classes in the gym while I did Daily 5 with the remaining 5th graders. 


Since the bus for the play was leaving early, the Bookmobile didn't come today.  I was bummed (not that I don't get enough time at the library each week).  The 5th grade boys have been reading the "I Survived" series nonstop.  They've burned through at least three of the six books that are in our library.  Currently there are nine in the series.  They asked me to email the Bookmobile librarian to get #7-9 and then they argued over whose card the books would be put on.  You should've seen their faces when I told them the Bookmobile wasn't coming today!  Good thing I drive right past the North Mankato library when I go to Mankato.  I'll swing by when I'm in town on Saturday.


At 10:30 we had musical practice at church.  Then we came back for lunch, ate super fast, and loaded the bus for MLC.  The play was pretty good; it was a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin.  I recognized at least two of the actors from last year.  We sat pretty close to the front and directly in front of the speakers, so my ears hurt by the end of the play (the hundreds of screaming kids didn't help matters).  Then it was the bus ride back to school.  There's something about riding the bus that makes kids do squirrely things.  And of course the teachers have to police everyone. 


Balloon activity for tomorrow (Friday!): Use markers/colored pencils all day!  The 5th graders are really excited for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment