Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Floor Hockey and Gangnam Style

Today was quite an eventful one at our school!

We had a two-hour late start, but not a real one because only one of the schools called two hours late.  The other one still had busing as normal, so I had to be at school the normal time.  All the 7th and 8th graders wanted to play in the gym, but I had some stuff to do in my room, so I said "Only if a teacher is in there to keep an eye on you."  They got Mr. D to do it, but he was in and out and not really in there enough to "keep an eye on them" so I ended up grabbing stuff to correct and sat there.  Of course, as soon as I got in the gym, he was sitting on the bleachers.  But when I sat down, he asked if I minded if he went to his room to do a few things.  Sigh.  No, go ahead.  So I was still stuck with them.

I did get the chance to look at the ITBS test booklets (tests my students just finished taking).  I figured out that each grade has questions half from the grade below and half from the grade above (at least in science and social studies).  Most of the questions were on physical science, which isn't in our curriculum.  That's something that needs to change for next year.

Finally we could start school.  My kids needed to practice their skit for our Variety Night this Friday, so that had to be squeezed in.  They're coming along, but it would be good to practice at church with microphones.  We're running out of time!

After lunch the 6th graders learned about the Cold War and then had math.  The 7th and 8th graders took a test that they didn't get to take last week (because of our snow day).  They finished with five minutes to spare, and one of the boys suggested we play a game.

"Like what?"
"Like that hand game you taught us that one time."  That one time referring to an activity during National Lutheran Schools Week this year.  I thought why not?  So we moved the tables out of the way and all hunkered down into a big circle.  I was surprised at how excited they were to play the game!  Most of them remembered how to play, but everyone picked up on it after a few seconds of playing.

At 2:00, we all headed to the gym for our long awaited Teacher vs. Student (7th and 8th graders) floor hockey match.  Six people per team.  Four minute halves.  Full court.

During the test, someone noticed an emergency vehicle (just a little car) parked outside school.  He asked me what it was for.  I had no idea but I whispered to him, "It's for the teachers, just in case someone passes out during the floor hockey game."  He stared at me for a second, "Really?"  "Nope, I don't know why they're there."

Thankfully, no one passed out during the game.  We actually played really well.  Of course we lost: 5 to 1.  At least we made one goal!  We almost made it in about 10 times (seriously) so technically we could've won if we'd have played longer.  Since we had some extra time at the end, we played 4 minutes, teachers vs. 8th graders only.  Oh it was so close!  We ended in a tie: 0-0.  One of the girls challenged us to a rematch sometime.  I think we're just going to lock the hockey stuff in the shed until next year.  It's time for us to get outside.

After school, once everyone had left, the teachers gathered in my room to practice our skit for Variety Night.  It's coming along nicely.  I think everyone has all their props.  We'll definitely be ready by Friday night.  I know some of the other teachers had their doubts.  I still need to learn how to do the Gangnam Style dance...

No comments:

Post a Comment