Monday, April 8, 2013

Testing, Testing, 1-2-3

Well, I made it back from my trip overseas without any difficulty.  Did the three day week without too much trouble from my students (we did have to go over how to raise our hands when we want to talk).

Joe the tortoise decided he likes us now and will usually be out and about in the morning.  After lunch, he usually buries himself under the soil in his terrarium and I don't see him until the next morning.  Last Friday, he actually faced the flag and "said" the pledge of allegiance with the class.  (More like he was sunning himself under his heat lamp, but we can pretend he's patriotic).

Today was our first day of testing.  We're using a newer version of the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills, which is a test I had to take when I was in grade school.  We just did the two reading portions today.  It went all right.  My weakest reader in the class was finished with the second part first.  Uh-oh.  I went over and checked the answer sheet.  They were all filled in!  Then at lunch, this student mentioned that the test was really hard and he/she didn't know any of the answers.  I asked how it was possible to be finished first.  The student really didn't say too much, but I don't think this person's scores are going to be too good for the second part.  We'll try to take two tests each day and be finished by next Friday.

The 7th and 8th graders had a speaker today.  A guy from CHS came to talk about the Wide World of Weeds.  He walked in about 20 minutes early and found the room very chaotic.  We were having bells at the time, so there were double the amount of students normally in my room, and all of them were marking papers, moving around the room, etc.  I was supposed to be doing recess duty, but was trying to send off a few emails in between.  We got his computer hooked up to the projector and then he waited in the office while I helped outside.  We were chased into the gym by the rain after about ten minutes.

I think I'm going to head home earlier than normal tonight.  Last night I had a sore throat and it hasn't gotten better throughout the day.  One of the teachers recommended getting a packet thing that you pour into a drink and it helps prevent colds, so I might see about getting some of that.  I have to make a library run so I don't get overdue fees on my book, so I could just swing by Walmart too.

Tomorrow after school, I have an interview with a family in the nearby area for a nanny job.  I got another email from the mom and she wanted to know if I'd be comfortable going to her house to meet the kids.  I said sure, but then I warned her that I might be getting a cold.  So I don't know if she'll want her kids exposed to that or not.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment