Thursday, January 19, 2012

Perseverance, Perseverance, Perseverance

I was writing in my notebook and a boy happened to walk past.  He looked over my shoulder for a while, tried to read what I wrote, and looked at me askance when I slapped a hand over the majority of my notebook. 
"You write a lot." 
"I know, it's kind of my homework." 
"Oh, so you know what you're supposed to do when you teach us?"
"Yeah, kind of." 
"Do you write that we're the funniest class?" 
"Why would I write that?"
"Because we are!"
Then I made the mistake of telling him I was writing down some of the funny things they'd been saying.  He immediately wanted to know some specific things I was writing.  Thankfully, the class was lining up to go to PE, so I distracted him by pointing to the line.  I thought the matter was dropped, but I underestimated the dedication of the 4th grade mind.  When they got back, the same boy brought a friend and they both attacked me, "Miss Heintz! Tell us what the funny things are!"  Great.  I'm not sure I want to tell you.  Once again I was saved.  Mrs. J shut the lights off to show a video for science class.  Whew! An excuse!  I shooed them to their seats saying, "You better get back to your desks; it's time for science."  Finally, subject dropped... until science ended and they were supposed to be getting ready to go home.  The girl came up to me and asked again; I caved and told her the Chocolate Moose for Dinner story, which surprisingly satisfied her.  She went merrily on her way to pack up her desk.  The next morning, the boy who started it all came back to my desk and commanded me to tell him something funny they had said.  I told him to talk to the other girl.  I guess whatever she told him satisfied him because he hasn't been back to bug me about that since then.  One thing is for sure, I underestimated their stubbornness!  If only I could harness that toward the pursuit of knowledge...

No comments:

Post a Comment