Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Silence is Golden... but not while student teaching

Day Two with no voice went about the same as yesterday.  I was actually feeling better, but whispering was harder today.  Unfortunately, I whispered a lot while I was helping a student with an English report, so my voice was getting tired when science rolled around.  I hypothesize that my voice will be up to 90% normal by the end of tomorrow, which would be wonderful since one of my professors is planning to observe me teach science tomorrow.

I brought my laptop to school today so I could work on lesson plans during prep.  I was a little worried the students would pester me about it or get distracted, but I was the one who was distracted.  There were no outlets close to my desk so I had to move all my stuff to the back corner of the room.  I felt so disconnected from the rest of the class.  Part of my solitude was due to my lack of voice; Mrs. J didn't ask me to do as much because so many of the tasks required speaking.  Anyway, I realized I wasn't very connected to the class and closed my computer, telling myself I would only use it before or after school, and possibly over lunch if need be.

The funniest thing that happened today involved Matt, a senior student who volunteered to be a teacher's aid for the semester.  He's a friend of Mrs. J's son and earns credit for his effort.  Because he knows Mrs. J so well, he is fairly comfortable around her.  He had a question for her and yelled her first name across the room to get her attention.  One of the girl students looked up, wide-eyed.  I could tell she was thinking, "Who dares to call our teacher by her first name!"  She looked around to see if anyone else noticed what happened and eventually went back to reading when no one else reacted.

Every day we end school by titling or captioning a funny picture.  This was our closing picture of the day...
They were really funny today: "Hanging Around" and "Cliff Hanger" being some of their ideas.  But the top title was "Top 10 Workouts for Frogs."  I think that's a pretty accurate description.

No comments:

Post a Comment