Thursday, February 23, 2012

Coincident at its finest...

Yesterday, after school, Kristy and I were driving back to Mankato when we passed an interesting entourage on the side of the road.  There was an ambulance with lights flashing, a hearse, and two regular cars.  We were confused as to why that combination would be on the side of the road together, but didn't overly dwell on it.  The next day, I had a brilliant idea; my students have been drawing conclusions all week in reading class, so I would tell them what I saw and have them draw a conclusion based on my information. 

So I told my class the story and right before I asked them to discuss possible conclusions they could come to, a student raised her hand and said, "Miss Heintz? I know what happened for real."  I was surprised and super curious of how she knew about this.  As the rest of the class discussed, she revealed, "My great-grandma was in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, but she died on the way there."  Apparently the hearse was there to take her to the funeral home right away.  What are the odds?  Really?  I had no clue what to do with this, so I asked the student if it was okay if we kept going or if she wanted us to stop.  She said it was okay if we kept going, but I kept an eye on her.  Some of her classmates already knew what happened because she had told them before school, so my grand activity was a bust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment