Thursday, February 23, 2012

"You are such a diphthong!"

These words trickled to my ears yesterday as I prepared for the school day.  My eyes shot to the two boys using this term and I stood there watching them for a while.  I couldn't figure out if they actually knew what they were calling each other.  (A diphthong is the name of a sound, specifically when you have two vowels that both make a sound as in "toy" or "boy" or "out".)  I have a feeling they didn't.  I was going to step in, but then I figured diphthong is not the worst word to call someone, so I let it go.

We also had drama in the girl world of 4th grade today.  One student wrote a couple notes to other girls saying she didn't want to be friends on Motion Monster, or whatever the online game is called.  The other girls wanted to know why, but the first girl kept running away and wouldn't talk to anyone.  So they were all talking about her and she was upset because they were talking about her behind her back.  Then after recess, two girls came in and told me that they had had a fight during recess and they wanted to talk to the first girl, but she kept running away.  We ended up keeping the three girls in from PE so we could get to the bottom of this. 

They talked through their problem like adults, but the problem itself wasn't very adult-like.  The first student said the other student was breaking up her friendship with another girl and she didn't like it.  The accused girl said she wasn't trying to do that, and the friend in question said she wanted to be friends with both girls.  Mrs. J pointed out that a friend couldn't be stolen away if she didn't want to be, so the first student had nothing to worry about.  Sigh.  So much drama.

Last night before we went home after school, Mrs. J said there was supposed to be a big storm coming through and we would get 5 inches of snow, or so.  This morning I woke up and.... no snow.  I think this is the first time in my life I've been disappointed that we didn't get snow.  I was really hoping for a snow day.  Oh well.  What can you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment