Thursday, February 2, 2012

Weepy Wednesday

I made a kid cry yesterday.  Actually, it's more complicated than that... let me rephrase my statement... The student started tearing up when he got frustrated with what I was saying about his paper.  We were working on editing our Body System Research Papers, specifically fixing the beginning summary sentences and ending summary sentences to make them more interesting.  His basically said the same thing over and over, so I tried to get him to fix them.  But he got frustrated when I wouldn't just tell him what to type; he actually asked me to write the sentence on a piece of paper.  I told him no.  He couldn't remember the suggestion I had made (two seconds earlier!) and tears began to form.  Sigh.  Who knew 4th graders could be so moody?

In other news, Tuesday was a pretty goofy day for our classroom.  This was made apparent while standing in line after our bathroom break; about three or four students stuck their heads inside their shirts, pretending they were turtles.  I have no idea what brought this on.  One boy shot out of the bathroom and announced, "Miss Heintz! We're having a farting contest in the bathroom!"  He then proceeded to show me how loud he could armpit fart.

During our small group reading time, we started reading a book about the seven wonders of the world.  Mrs. J asked if anyone in the group could name one of the wonders.  A student piped right up, "I'm one of them, aren't' I?"  Later, a girl countered his first claim, "No, we all are! Because there are seven of them and seven of us... It's us! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7!"

No comments:

Post a Comment