Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Week (or so) in Review...

First graders are funny.  I was walking to lunch one day and a little 1st grader looks over at me, says matter of factly, "You're pretty," and turns back around.  Then, I was on my way to make copies when I heard a little 1st grade girl say to her friend, "Well I like spiders.  I'm not going to marry a boy unless he likes spiders."

In our small reading group, we were talking about why opinions can be bad.  One student used this as an example of a bad opinion, "Abraham Lincoln was a bad president because he had a machine gun in his closet."  I'm not sure what his logic is coming from.  Then another student chimed in, "Besides, he wouldn't have a machine gun 'cause they weren't invented then, just a Gatling gun."

Yesterday, the principal came to our class to make an announcement.  Apparently, he got a call from a parent complaining about a game the 4th and 5th graders were playing at recess.  It's called "Murder Tag."  He told the students they weren't allowed to play it anymore and if they knew anything about it, they should tell an adult.  After lunch, one of my students asked to speak with me in the hall.  She admitted to starting the game but told me it was supposed to be called "Marauder" tag, after the characters in Harry Potter.  People just misheard her, but she assured me they don't play it anymore.

The past few days I've been videotaping my English lessons for an assignment at school (TPA, yuck).  Mrs. J and I stressed that this was very important to me, so they shouldn't goof off.  I was surprised how good they were in class!  Afterwards, one girl asked me if I didn't get a teaching job, would I cry?  I told her I would be sad, but I probably wouldn't cry.  Then she said that she cried last year when their student teacher left.  Today I refreshed their memories of why I was videotaping and they all decided they were going to find me a job.  Someone suggested I teach 2nd grade and another student thought I should teach pre-school.  With 19 students on the lookout, I should get a job in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment