Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Parent Teacher Conferences

Whew! What a day!  I didn't do a whole lot, but I'm pretty exhausted.  Our day didn't start until 11:00am, so I got to sleep in until 7:30.  Wow, that was nice.  Then I ran some errands around campus: bought stamps, RSVPed for a graduation event thing, stopped by Career Services to go over my resume and (horrible) cover letter.  After that, I printed my resumes on nice paper, and it was time to go to school.

The morning appointments were kind of sporadic with lots of space in between parents, but after 3:30 we were booked solid until 7 (with a small break for supper).  I don't remember going with my parents to conferences, but apparently they are allowed to do so in this school.  There were only 3 out of 17 students who didn't come with their parents.  Next week, my 4th graders are starting a unit in science about living things, so some families brought in pets for the class to observe.  One of our first appointments brought in Tropical Cockroaches and a huge rat.  Both are used to raise food for animals at Pet Expo.  Of course, those two huge cages distracted everyone, so looking at the cages was added to what we talked about at each conference. 

I really liked seeing my students' parents.  It was fun to see how much their children resemble them, in both looks and mannerisms.  Some parents looked nothing like their children!  But I guess that's the mystery of genes; you never know exactly what you're going to get. 

A bunch of parents made a comment about the 5th grade boys bullying the 4th grade boys during recess on the playground.  Mrs. J said she'd talk to the proper people about that.  She also said that something like this happens every year; the 5th graders pick on the boys and she has a talk with the 4th graders about it.  They always say they'll never act like that when they are in 5th grade, but it still happens year after year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment