Monday, November 12, 2012

Monday, Monday

Well, this has been a long day.  I think this is the first day all year that the 6th graders have had more energy than I've had.  They were off the walls!  Pastor came to teach our class about stewardship this morning, so that might have set them off.  It snowed this morning too; not a whole lot, but enough to get them excited.  And I'm still recuperating from the wedding I went to this weekend. 

This morning, all the 7th and 8th graders kept asking me questions about their upcoming PowerPoint presentation.  A few came up to me and said they were almost finished with it.  They first heard about this assignment on Friday.  Talk about excited to learn!

Since our books are so old, we divided up the countries in South America and each student is going to do a report/presentation about each country.  They can work in pairs or by themselves; they just have to present the information to the class in some way.  They are also going to write worksheets for the class to fill out during the presentation.  The presenters will pick five of these questions to use on the test.  They'll get their worksheets back to study for the test.  Tomorrow we're going to go over the difference between a good PowerPoint and a bad one. 

At recess today, I had way too much junk food.  And by junk food, I mean pretend, imaginary food "made" for me by some 1st and 2nd graders.  They were sitting behind the bleachers by the scoreboard keyboard, waiting for customers.  One of them asked what kind of smoothie I'd like.  Then he asked if I wanted a meal with that... but they were a candy shop, so they only had cupcakes and candy.  It seemed that there was tension in the ranks because one of his "coworkers" said they had some hot dogs.  Then they changed it so they had pizza.  So I ended up going back for three meals.

One girl asked if I would jump rope with her.  I was kind of confused, thinking "how are the two of us going to jump together."  But she had a long rope and wanted me to twirl the other end.  Pretty soon there was a long line of kids waiting for their turn to run in.  I started singing "Cinderella, dressed in yellow, went upstairs to kiss her fellow..."  One student got up to nine doctors!  Everyone (including me) was sad when recess was over.  Maybe we'll do it again on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment