Friday, December 7, 2012

My Own Personal Weather Forcasters

Holy Buckets!  Today was definitely an indication snow was coming.  My normally calm 6th graders were off the wall!  It's so interesting how students' moods/actions correspond to changes in the weather.  They're almost better weather predictors than actual weathermen!

It didn't help that our schedule was messed around.  The 7th and 8th graders won a pizza party a few weeks ago and they finally cashed it in this afternoon.  Of course that meant they couldn't show up for my class.  We ended up switching for a half an hour in the morning so the 6th graders could have math and they could have their geography test.  (I promised to bring them cookies next week if none of them failed the test.  Hopefully I have to bake something this weekend). 

In the afternoon, we had program practice.  Some of them weren't singing, so I kept them in from recess for a while to practice the songs they hadn't sung with the whole group (a consequence we had discussed prior to practice).  Then we ended up going outside.

Half the class (the girls) wanted to come in early because they were freezing.  We stayed outside (there was only five minutes left).  Then we had art.  It involved balloons.  Never a good idea for hyper 6th graders to do a project with balloons.  They were grabbing them out of the bag, not listening, blowing them up way too big for our project... it was pretty much a disaster.  The girls finally settled down, but one boy just kept going.  So I sent him to his desk.  I don't think it was the best choice; he sat there and didn't care that he was at his desk.  But it was helping calm the other students down. 

We still had a half an hour left after art.  I didn't want to teach science because we're starting a new unit next week and they were so off the wall, I didn't think they'd pay any attention to me at all.  We ended up exchanging names for our Christmas gift exchange.  Then we cleaned the room and went home.  Yikes. 

About 45 minutes after school cleared out, it started snowing.  Yep, the kids were right, yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment