Friday, January 25, 2013

Blustery Day

It sure is windy outside!  We had a little bit of snow on and off again for most of the morning... and then the wind picked up.  For a few minutes I thought they might cancel school early!  But then the snow all blew away. 

National Lutheran Schools Week is starting on Monday.  To kick off our week, the students are singing and playing hand bells for the church service Sunday morning.  Since it was -30 on Wednesday when we normally walk to church for Chapel, we didn't get the chance to practice at church.  The music teacher decided to wait until Friday (today) hoping the weather would be better.  Not so much.  We ended up having to shuttle the kids over to church in our vehicles.  Each teacher only had to make a few trips.

We were supposed to do God's Playbook today (our anti-bullying program), but we ran out of time.  This week's topic is/was cyberbullying.  The 1-2nd grade teacher and I came up with a little skit/demonstration type thing to do for our school to give them an example of what cyberbullying actually is.  The 1-2nd grade teacher is going to be waiting in the hallway.  I'm going to ask one of the 7th graders to read sentences that are on a piece of paper.  The sentences are things like, "Mrs. T's clothes look ugly.  She's the worst teacher in the world.  I don't want Mrs. T to come back next year; she should just leave.  I heard she hates the 8th grade boys and tries to get them in trouble."  And there are others.

Then, I'm going to call Mrs. T back into the room and this 7th grader is going to have to read the list to her face.  We're hoping the 7th grader won't be able to do it or will rush through really fast.  Then we can ask, "Why did you read it so fast the second time? How did you feel after saying those things the first time?  After the second time?"  "Mrs. T, how did you feel while this person read those things about you?"  So hopefully everything goes as planned.

In other news, my 6th graders now want to get dwarf seahorses instead of fish.  We found a place that sells them for $15/horse plus $30 shipping and handling.  They ship overnight.  I think I want to get some experience raising fish before I spend that much on a sea creature.  The 6th graders have pretty much finished their research.  Now we just need to vote/figure out which kind to get. 

The 6th grade boy who broke his nose has been absent all week.  He's been having a rough time after his surgery, but hopefully he'll be back Monday so he can be a part of this process.  If not, it would be a good excuse to buy me a few more days before choosing a pet.

Tonight I'm going to do all my correcting for the weekend, or at least, I'm going to try.  Saturday, I'm going to go home to help clean out the lambing shed for lambing this year.  If there's time, I'm hoping to shear some of the ewes so I don't have so much to do next weekend. 

Next weekend is the big Lakefield basketball tournament.  Everyone at our school stays at a hotel in Iowa called Cutty's.  It's like a family vacation for everyone.  I probably had about 8 kids ask me today if I was going to Cutty's.  And by Cutty's, they meant the basketball tournament.  My brother Nolan will be playing at the tournament (at least, as far as I know), so hopefully we get the sheep stuff done so I can go watch him (and my 6-8th graders) play basketball.  Preferably not against each other.  Mr. E was trying to scope out the competition and asked how good the Fulda teams are this year.  I had no idea, so I don't think I gave too much away.

No comments:

Post a Comment