Monday, January 28, 2013

What a day!

National Lutheran Schools Week kicked off with a bang!

My whole class was present and accounted for for the first time in a week.  My other 6th grade boy was back, but he'll be gone again tomorrow to get the wires/tubes taken out of his nose.  He said he's feeling a lot better and hopes to be able to play in the basketball tournament this weekend.  All day he was super loud, shouting when he didn't need to, getting really giggly... I think it was probably because he was cooped up at home for so long.  He's not supposed to overexert himself, so he couldn't do anything at recess.  He was SUPER bored.  I saw him walking around with some hula hoops around his arms, wandering aimlessly around the gym.

We had a two hour late start this morning because of the icy roads.  Last week we didn't have time to do God's Playbook, so we took the time after devotions this morning to act out a skit about cyber-bullying.  I had one of the 7th graders read some mean things about Mrs. T.  When she realized what she had to read, she literally took a step back and then she read through them as fast as she could.   As soon as the kids heard what she was reading, they all gasped.  They couldn't believe anyone would actually say that stuff out loud.  And then Mrs. T came in and sad down right next to her.  And she had to read the same stuff again to her face.  She was super embarrassed.  But our point got across.

Then we had some missionaries from Africa speak to our class.  They were amazing!  They brought so many visual aids that the kids could touch!  Because they came early, my 6th graders got the chance to check out the stuff the missionaries had brought.  The missionaries put on some traditional African dress and were very friendly.  I had such a good time listening to them.  And the 7th and 8th graders were paying really close attention too!  Oh, it warmed my heart; I was so proud of them!  I will most definitely ask the Loewes to come speak to our class again.

We ended the day with a service project.  The whole school got together in the gym to cut out snowflakes and make place mats for the nursing home.  Tomorrow is Minute to Win it- water edition.  And everyone will be dressed up for Crazy Day.  I didn't dress up for today's PJ Day, but I promised to dress up tomorrow.  I wish I had a lab coat to wear... crazy scientist anyone?  But my skeleton shirt will have to do.  Maybe I'll wear some crazy mismatched socks or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment