Friday, December 2, 2016

Listening Art

This afternoon for art, we did a project I stole from Miss S.  She plays a classical music piece for her students, and they draw the picture they get in their heads from the music. They also write about what they pictured. My kids LOVED it!  I didn't have any classical songs picked out, so I played a song by Waterflame (a video game composer).  They were dancing and having a grand old time!  And they wanted to do it again!  This time, I played "Green Onions" by Booker T and the MGs.  They loved that song too, but most had the same visual because it's played in the movie The Sandlot.  Then I played more Waterflame.  Next time, I think we'll do some Lindsey Stirling or maybe try some classical composers.

As I scrolled through the songs I have on my desktop computer, I noticed sound effects from the summer reading program's "soundtrack scrimmage" or "sound effect scrimmage".  I have a feeling my kids would like to play that too.  Maybe next week!  Except we are starting Christmas program practice at church soon, which will take up most of our afternoons.  I've been considering cutting down on Daily 5 time in the morning to squeeze in some science/social studies time.  I have another week before I have to decide that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment