Tuesday, May 7, 2019

#9- Listen to Music

We had a good learning day today in 5-6th grade. We covered all of the New Testament in religion except for Luke and Acts (my goal is to read through both of them by the end of the year). We went over how to analyze the data from our last lab, did our rounds listening to music, and practiced our Variety Night skit over at church.

On the way back to school our school cook told us the oven quit working and she was using the ovens at church. It would be about a half-hour wait for our lunch. Eh, such is life, no big deal. That's long enough to accomplish something so I wasn't worried. I sent my kids back to their desks to work on something productive while I asked Mr. E what we wanted to do about our afternoon schedule. Then I remembered he was at a principal's meeting and the preschool teacher was subbing for him.

On my way down to their room, I passed a bunch of 8th graders dumping empty lunch trays. Weird. They eat after us. I asked them, surprised, "Did you guys already eat?"
"Yeah, just us 8th graders. We're going to an escape room and we had to eat before we left."
"When are you leaving?"
"Like now."

Uhhh, what? When was anyone going to tell the teacher so she could adjust her lesson plans??? Turns out a parent planned this excursion for the 8th graders and (from what I can tell) dropped it on us short notice. I think Mr. E and Ms. F had more notice than I did, but I was not very happy to have them ditch out on school today. We needed to finish our last geography lesson and practice for bells since we perform on Thursday. Ugh.

I ended up switching bell days with the 5th graders, again. I feel kind of bad taking all their bell practices away from them, but we need the practice. The 7th graders and I learned about Antarctica, finished early, and finished watching Mulan, the class movie we started a while ago. Too bad the 8th graders missed it. I really wish they'd gone after school sometime instead of during the school day.

Anyway, I ended up having class with the 5-6th graders before lunch and we had a very productive MN history lesson about WWII. Maybe I should do social studies before lunch more often. They had time for recess after lunch, then did math, then we had afternoon recess, then went home.

I wasn't planning to do my New Ulm run until Friday morning before Track and Field Day, but I had to go to town tonight to buy a succulent for one of my students. She gave me money to buy her mom one as a Mother's Day present and I don't have time any other night this week. Since I didn't have to be in town by any particular time, I stopped at home before I went to town and ended up taking the plastic off my porch since it was so nice out (and the plastic is ripping and the wood lath is falling off). Finally. It seemed like every time I would plan to do it, there would be snow in the forecast. I can see much better out my living room window now!

No comments:

Post a Comment