Monday, January 29, 2024

Monday Monday

Another decent day at school. Religion and social studies are the subjects my students seem to be the most engaged in. Today we did the story of Balaam and Johannes Gutenberg/printing press respectively. The 5th graders were also excited to share their narrative writing stories with the class, date TBD. I decided to correct that assignment. So far I've read two. Only 33 to go!

I started a new read-aloud book with Mrs. M's class, Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix. I read it with a past year of 5-6th graders and they were sucked in. I hope this class will feel the same. So far we're on page four and they're still a bit disgruntled I didn't pick one of the books they recommended. The other class, Mr. N's class, and I are reading Restart by Gordon Korman. It's just as good as I remember, and the kids are eating it up. We read it as often as we have spare time when I'm in their classroom. 

The girl drama continues. Nothing to report there. I thought things were looking a little better (they ate lunch together and I heard they played a bit at recess), but according to her mom, they still feel stuck. Me too.

Almost all the girls in 5th grade play basketball. Two or three of the five asked me if I would stay and watch their basketball game after school. I wasn't planning to, but then I ended up still being there close to game time (and I had papers to correct), so I stayed for the first two quarters. They played well and if things continued like they did for the first two, I think they won the game!

My time at Mt. Olive is still up in the air, nothing new to report. I have a feeling they will hire the MLC graduate to be the long-term sub for the rest of the year. That's fine with me, but I have also had twinges of regret thinking about being done teaching these kids. They're a good group. The principal is trying to meet with the graduate in person sometime this week. I'll just have to be patient until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment