Sunday, September 29, 2024

Cottage Cheese 2.0

I finally got the cottage cheese strained. Unfortunately, by the time I got to it, there was a layer of reddish/orange mold starting in patches on the surface. Bummer. 

G wasn't ready to pitch it, so I carefully scraped the mold off for the cats and we strained the rest. Everything underneath looked completely fine and smelled normal. Still, I won't eat any of it. That's G's experiment. 😜

Here it is partially strained:


Here's the cheese in the strainer:

The recipe said to strain in a cheese cloth, but our cheese cloth smelled a little musty, so I went with this apple sauce strainer. 

We caught the whey in a bowl below. 

I'll have to look up uses for whey. The only thing I can think of right now is to flush it down the toilet and it's good for your septic system (all that good bacteria). We had so much whey, I did flush some. One quart is hanging out in the fridge. 

Next step in the cottage cheese process is to let it hang for 12h, then add some salt and hang again. We just crumbled it into a container and stuck it in the fridge. G is waiting for the opportune moment to sample it.

No comments:

Post a Comment