Monday, September 23, 2024

Garden Update

It's been too long since I've checked my garden... I was a bit afraid to see what's out there! Surprisingly, it was better than expected.

Two tiny cantaloupe:

One smallish pumpkin (pictured below) and a bunch of green squash. The leaves of all the plants on the trellis arch have mold/mildew. 


G says that's from too much moisture. Not much we can do about it now. Hopefully my plants survive long enough to get those tiny squash mature enough to eat.

I forgot about the turnips... Now they are humongous. I'll have to cut into them to see if they're good. Otherwise, the goats and poultry will enjoy them. 


I dug up about six feet of our potato row and harvested this many: 


Most have rodent damage but are otherwise fine. 

Here's a crate with other garden goodies:

Want to play I Spy? You can see cabbage, tomatoes okra, zucchini, green and purple beans, cucumbers, turnips, and carrots. Not pictured are the kohlrabi, which might be too woody for us to eat. 

With all the veggies, I made one of my favorite recipes, Seven Layer Dinner, with almost all homegrown ingredients. 


Our pepper plant had one dinky green bell pepper, so I had to supplement with store bought. Ground beef came from my parents' farm. Tomatoes were some of the not sealed canned tomatoes (which came from a church friend's garden). Otherwise, everything besides the spices came from our garden! So delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment