Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Cottage Cheese

The last of the goat milk is being made into cheese. I poured a bit out to use in a recipe and found chunks. I think that's the cream clumping together. 

My cheese making source said that raw milk naturally begins to ferment and will turn into a type of cheese over time; it doesn't go bad. You can tell it's past its fresh point when it starts smelling tangy and vinegary. The only time it really goes 'bad' is if you smell the milk and think, "there's no amount of money on earth that could get me to put anything that smells like that in my mouth." 

My milk smells like the former: not like regular milk, but not bad, just different. I poured the milk into a glass pickle jar (the same size I use to brew kombucha) with a nice, wide lid for easy pouring. Slap a dishtowel and rubber band on the top and let it sit at room temp until the curds and whey separate. The website said that could take a few days, but mine must've been old enough that it separated in one. 

Now I think it's time to strain the curds and begin to dry them...

No comments:

Post a Comment