Monday, September 10, 2012

Whew!

What a day.  My voice is sore from talking loud all day.  I thought I would get a break from talking during recess duty (watching the k-4th graders play), but I got put in charge of kickball and had to ref the whole game.  This included comforting one boy who wanted to kick first, be the only pitcher, and never get out even when he should be.  I broke up a couple of fights, split up "the best kickball players" so teams would be fair, and reminded students whose turn it was to kick.  Oh, and I cheered for them too.  Not much of a break.  Oh well. 

The 7th and 8th graders got a seating chart, and it worked all right.  One guy kept looking off to the side, so I think I'm going to have to move him.  Everyone else seemed to do okay.  It was really weird; half the class was falling asleep while I was talking, and the other half was super full of energy.  But apparently that's how they always are.  We were talking about the scientific method, which does get pretty dry.

The IT guys came overnight and finally installed our new computers.  My room is so much quieter with these computers!  One of them still doesn't work; the screen won't light up.

Art with the 1st and 2nd graders was also pretty crazy today.  We were making Weavy Worms by taking two pieces of paper and folding them over each other.  Then we drew faces on them.  The students LOVED them!  Two boys kept throwing them in the air and catching their caterpillars.  Some of the kids wanted to make extras for their moms and dads.  Thankfully, I cut a lot of extra papers, so they could. 

Volleyball practice was kind of a waste.  One of my students who's been struggling stayed after school to get caught up on her work.  So she was in my room by herself.  This would've been okay, but she has a hard time focusing and the older volleyball players kept coming in to see what she was working on!  One girl actually told her she could do her homework some other time- she should come play volleyball with the rest of them.  When my 6th grader asked if she could do that I told her to do her work and she could come to practice on Wednesday.  Her dad and I had a long talk when he came to pick her up.  But now all three of us knows what's going on, so hopefully the year (and homework!) will go smoother.  Thank the Lord for Assignment Notebooks. 

Well, I think I'm going to head home and make some tea for my tired voice.  My internet will hopefully get hooked up on Thursday.  Of course they're coming between the hours of 1 and 5, so who knows when they'll actually come.  Sigh.  The joys of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment