Thursday, January 26, 2023

Bringing in the Big Guns

Uffda, what a day. It wasn't too bad except the tail end of the morning. Another altercation between a 6th grade boy and a 6th grade girl. 😖😒 

We were doing Daily 5 rounds. I first noticed the disruption when she chucked his stocking cap across the room. Ahem, a hat that should've been in his crate or the coatroom. He got mad and shoved the back of her head super hard so she almost fell over. I stopped working with the writer I'd been conferencing with and asked him to come to the coatroom with me. He went to the reading corner with a game and sat down instead. Well then. I repeated my instructions. No response again. I said we'd bring in Mr. E if he didn't come in five seconds. Still no movement. 

I tried to call Mr. E on my school desk phone, but it's still on the fritz and it went straight to his voicemail. Sigh. So I walked down to his room, interrupted his class (ugh, I hate doing that), and had him get this student to come out in the coat room so I could get to the bottom of what happened. I don't often get mad, but this time I was actually shaking... either with anger or nerves about having to deal with the disrespect. Ugh. 

He was mad because she wouldn't move out of his way enough for him to get past, so he kicked her in the legs to get her to move, then she threw his hat, then he got mad and shoved her. A problem that could've been solved with a simple, "Mrs. H, she won't move." And now he missed recess and has to write two apology notes that have to be signed by both parents. Not to mention additional consequences from parents (he doesn't get to make venison jerky with his dad tonight). Sigh.

The rest of the day was better. The 7th graders and I talked about books they enjoyed reading when they were in my class (in preparation for finding books to read for February I Love to Read Month). Bells went pretty good, even though we didn't have time to practice all the songs I wanted to. They had PE so I did a lot of lesson planning. And we ended the day with 5-6th grade social studies talking about the 1900s and all the causes people championed back then. 

In other news, it is G and my one month anniversary! He's down in Florida playing on a baseball team with his dad and uncle, so they're celebrating there. I'm celebrating by going to bible study, reheating leftovers, and correcting the papers I didn't get to last night... maybe organizing bathroom cupboards... Maybe once that's finished I can mentally relax and read a book sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment