Friday, January 27, 2023

Lakefield Tournament

Update on the stinker from yesterday: he had a much better day today. Way less back-talk, respectfully said his memory work and did late work, and we had a fantastic conversation about his read-to-self book during our weekly meeting. I'm glad that instances like yesterday aren't common and that the people involved can go back to 'normal'.

Today was a super strange day of school. Our morning was normal, but most of the school left between 1:30 and 2pm, all basketball players and their families heading to the tournament. For once, I am not attending the tournament, so I took the kindergarten class and the stragglers from 7-8th grade with my two remaining kiddos at 1:30 for the rest of the day so Mr. and Mrs. E could get there on time. 

My classroom was pretty chaotic. My students worked on wrapping up late assignments... memory, spelling test fixes, science labs... until their parents peeled them off one by one. The 7-8th graders did other homework. One student interviewed me for a reading assignment. He asked about a trip I went on out of the country, one of my El Salvador Thrivent Builds. The kindergarteners built forts with some of my STEM stuff and the 5th graders joined them after their work was done. 

At 2pm we went to the gym for recess until the end of the day. Another chaotic time: PreK-5 in the gym together. Lots of big emotions from tired kids playing. But we survived! 

I am ready to hit the road too. My sister and a former co-worker and I are doing a spelling bee tonight, hosted by the North Mankato library, then I'm heading up to the Cities to visit a college friend. She and I are going to a Secret Supper in Mora on Saturday (a Christmas present from G). We don't know our official destination until 24h before the event, nor what's specifically on the menu. Something northern I think. We're spending part of the event outside, so I have all my heaviest winter gear packed! Sunday, I pick G up from the airport and we're heading down to Fulda for my grandparent's 65th wedding anniversary! Lots of driving, but lots of quality time too. 😀

No comments:

Post a Comment