Wednesday, May 17, 2023

T Minus Two

Still no ducklings. There's still time though. We're giving up on the chicken eggs; I think I'll unplug the incubator before I go home tonight.

Today was another mostly okay day. We had read-aloud all morning, but they got a little antsy after a while. I gave them brain breaks and we did some chunks outside, but man, they were hard to focus outside. I ended up bring them in early. Still, they were mostly productive this morning. All the piƱatas are finished! A few got math or handwriting finished. A few worked on crossword puzzles or drew pictures. 

We started a new book, The Unteachables by Gordon Korman. One kid complained that we only read Gordon Korman books and he wanted something different. Actually, we've read 12 books this year not counting this one, and of those, only four are by Gordon Korman. But they have been back to back. I don't think we'll finish this book by the last day of school. I tried to skip over irrelevant sentences to make it read faster, but there's only so much I can do. We made it about a third of the way through reading all morning. 

The kindergarten class had their celebration (aka graduation) over at church this afternoon. Mr. D went over to help, so I was going to supervise his class at recess. Mr. E normally does PE for K-3 at that time while his kids do art, but their art teacher (Mrs. E) was running the graduation! We had a lot of kids and not many teachers to supervise. I suggested we have a massive game of kickball. And so we did!

It was really fun. Mr. E made teams, dividing kids by grades. I was all time pitcher and Mr. E all time ump. One of the parents arranged for an ice cream truck to come at the end of the day, so when it was time for that, Mr. E sent them over by grades while the rest of us kept playing. The teams stayed even! After everyone had gone through the line, we did all-school recess until the end of the day. 

Tomorrow is Caswell softball day. The weather is a little iffy over the noon hour, but hopefully we can get a few games in beforehand. Maybe it will pass quickly and we can play afterwards. Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment