Friday, April 12, 2024

The Other 5th Graders

After almost a full week off, I was back at Mt. Olive today, this time in the other 5th grade classroom. It was roughly the same schedule, but also very different routines and flavor to the day. The kids were all super pumped to see me. One girl actually ran down the hall to the classroom when her friends told her I was their sub. In Mrs. M's room, I got a lot of hugs (some from students I didn't expect). 

Mr. N arrived at school the same time I did. I was a bit surprised to see him since he had the day off, but he was only there to print his lesson plans for me and make sure I knew where everything was. Mrs. M stopped by to give me a stack of cards her students made for me. There is some great art on the fronts and some sweet words on the insides. My favorites are below:

The rapper student... His made me laugh out loud.

The card in the top right has one line of text inside. The artist said it took him like three hours to do the front, so I'm guessing that's why. 😆

The art on the left side was just like we did in an art project earlier in the year. 

Look at that shading!

My favorite parts of the day... Reading class, we read a few chapters of their class book, Mr. Lemoncello's Library. Mrs. M's class wanted to have students read the dialogue, so we divvied up parts. I was the narrator. It was actually pretty fun and it helped them recognized who/when people were talking in the story (kind of tricky at times since there are many characters). They're hoping Mr. N will let them continue that next week. 

In Mr. N's room in the afternoon, we finally had time for the read-aloud book I started before I left, Slugfest by Gordon Korman. We read during art and library time, went outside for a brief extra recess (the girls invited me to play four square with them), and then they wanted me to read for the last ten minutes of the day before they got picked up. So we did. We are SO close to finishing! We have 1.5 chapters left! That's less than 20 pages! 

I arranged with Mr. N to let me come in on Monday to finish... I'm on the books to come in for Mrs. M next Tuesday to read that class's read-aloud. I'm hoping I can finish that book Tuesday, but if not, I'll come in Wednesday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment