Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Fermentation Fun

One of our wedding presents was this book about fermenting vegetables. It's been unused until this week when I had some shriveling beets needing to be used. 

First recipe - cumin basil pickled beets. Super easy, makes one quart. 

The last step is to weigh down the veggies so they stay submerged. The book gave a bunch of methods including a cabbage leaf, a boiled rock (to kill the bad bacteria), and a small glass jar. I went with the jar. You put a cloth over top to keep dust out. Two weeks from now they should be ready! 

My second recipe doesn't use salt; tea tannins make fermentation happen. Ingredients - beets, fennel, and cold brew black tea. 


I thought I had fennel in the fridge... actually, it's a leek. So I tweaked the recipe. I think the combination will still work. This one only takes a week to ferment, so we'll know pretty soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment