Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Frosty

The weather has turned cold (although not for long...) and I decided it was time to bring my warm weather plants inside for the winter. My in-laws graciously allow me to keep my plants in their heated garage. 

The white pot on the floor is one of their planters. On the foosball table from left to right: pomegranate in the back, date I grew from a seed in the front, lemon tree, hardy fig in the bronze pot in the front (can hardly see it because it's mostly stem), in-laws' palm tree in the back, and in the little white pot is the pomegranate I grew from a seed. Somewhere not pictured is my very sad looking pineapple. 
Eventually, I'll set up a grow light and rearrange the plants on the floor. I have a weekly reminder in my phone to go water them. They need less water in the winter, but if I don't have a reminder, I will forget!

With the frost/freeze warnings in the forecast, G and I took one final swing through our garden to collect everything that might be damaged. Here's our haul:

You can see the musty leaves of the cabbage, no doubt transferred across the garden from the mildew-covered squash. The rest of the cabbage is good after picking the yucky leaves off. Almost all the tomatoes are green, but they'll ripen on the counter. Hopefully the squash ripen too. We have a handful of mini-peppers! Those are the dark veggies in the top left of the basket. Okra is on the table to the right of the basket. They feel firm and woody...not sure how they'll taste. 

Still hanging out in our garden: brussel sprouts, red cabbage (maybe have enough leaves covering them the frost won't damage?), carrots, and potatoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment