Friday, October 11, 2013

Fun Friday

I had a late night correcting papers last night... 11:30!  which is way past pumpkin time for me.  I did get them all corrected though!

At school, we had a fun day (but still full of learning!).  The sentences in our English book have recently focused on the Odyssey and Odysseus, so I found the Wishbone episode about the Iliad.  The 5th graders loved it!  One boy asked if he could find a website to watch more of "that show with the little dog."  I think I'll have to introduce my students to more of the classics later this year. 

We were a day behind in English (since we ran out of time yesterday), but I wanted to meet with individual students about their independent reading books, so time slipped away again and I ended up punting on the assignment.  Instead, we played our usual Friday English Adjective Game.  The class splits into two teams, I find an object in the room for them to describe, and they have three minutes to write down as many adjectives as they can that describe the object.  And they get to use Thesauri.  They love it!  We only got to play for 10 minutes before it was time for lunch.  We didn't even have time for Spanish vocab. 

In the afternoon, the 7th and 8th graders got their tests back, watched a Bill Nye episode about Earth's crust, and then watched two short videos about money: where it comes from, how it got started, and inflation.  They were really into it!  I was surprised!  They were asking questions and making connections to our government and our country's debt.  It was great. 

Volleyball practice was interesting too.  It was our last practice of the season.  Just one more tournament and one more game to go!  The girls actually listened to me for once, although there were a few eye rolls and talking back.  So then Miss H. and I made them run laps.  We ended practice with a scrimmage of the girls (10) vs. the coaches (3).  They played with 6 on the court and rotated the other girls in on the serve.  Everyone played really well!  Especially the coach's team.  I actually spiked the ball twice!  Something I never accomplished at any point in my short elementary volleyball career.  The coach's team won, 15-3.  It was really fun.  A good ending to the week.  Now we just have to survive the Pork Chop Dinner on Sunday.  Oh boy, here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment