Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Books and Butterflies

The library book sale trip was a success!  I got 33 books for $7.50; what a steal!  One of the books was given to the Kindergarten room.  It was called "Shout It Out" and as you might have guessed from the title, readers are encouraged to shout it out along with the story.  I figured this book would be too loud for my class, so I sent it down to the younger grades.  Mrs. E said they loved it!  Tomorrow I'm going to do Book Commercials on the older kid books I picked up at the sale.  We'll see if I have any takers.  Maybe I'll just have them laid out on the table so the 5th graders can peruse them at will.  Hmm...

It was so weird in 7th/8th grade history today.  Everyone was super quiet and seemed to be really interested in what we were talking about.  Maybe it was just me.  They actually asked some questions about what we were learning (even some of the snarky kids who normally sit and stare menacingly).  Hopefully their interest continues!

Today was the last day I wanted to spend on getting our "butterflies" ready for migration.  I found a program through Journey North about butterfly migration from Canada/USA to Mexico.  Students are asked to make mini butterflies that will be mailed to classrooms in Mexico.  In the spring when the real butterflies migrate north, the Mexican students will make butterflies to mail up to our classrooms!  As a class, we've learned some Spanish phrases to write on our class butterfly.  They've been really excited about the project.  I can't wait to see the butterflies we get back in the spring!

There's both a soccer and a volleyball game after school today.  The team we're playing is Truman/Northrup/Fairmont and the volleyball coach is intense.  Mr. E said that the coach is the new principal at one of the schools and he takes his volleyball very seriously.  He told Mr. E that he's been yellow carded once this season already for yelling at the ref who made an incorrect call.  And Mr. E is the lucky guy who gets to ref our games tonight.  Our head volleyball coach is not here to coach, so Miss H. and I are going it solo.  It will be good practice for this weekend's tournament, but I wish it weren't against such an intense team! 

No comments:

Post a Comment