Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!

Well, actually, I didn't fall down today at all.  I stayed on my feet during 2nd grade math (a rough and rowdy crowd today) and during the 7th and 8th grade review session.  I think that was our most productive study session of the entire year.  Probably because I let them pick their own groups.  We actually got through most of what they need to know for the test.  They still want me to make a study guide though.  And none of the 5th graders fell down while working on their PowerPoint projects about Native American tribes in early America... so who did fall? 

One student was walking to her desk and gracefully tripped over someone's bag strap.  I heard a big thump, but by the time I turned to look, she had popped right back up and wasn't hurt.  The second one was a bit more serious.  We were at our 2nd recess and since we'd ended recess early yesterday, the 5th graders decided to play a friendly game of swing tag as opposed to the more controversial game of kickball.  Ms. J and I played with them and all was well and good... until one 5th grader had an itch on his back.  He reached around to scratch his back and promptly fell off the swing, right on his hip.  Ouch!  He kept saying his back hurt, so I didn't know how much to move him just in case something was wrong back there.  He was able to move his legs and said it was hurting a little less as time went on.  No ice pack necessary for this tough guy.  One of his classmates asked if she should call the ambulance (we didn't).  He turned out to be fine.  Didn't want to call his mom or dad or anyone.  What a tough guy. 

So that was the excitement for the day.  Then we found out that one of the 5th graders didn't have a ride to the soccer game at Camp Omega today.  There was no room in anyone else's car, so she was out of luck.  Her brother had to come pick her up.  I felt so bad for her; she was in the gym, bawling her eyes out because she couldn't go.  It's a hard way to learn a lesson.

In other news, the firefighters are coming tomorrow for Fire Prevention Week.  We'll get to shoot off the fire hose!

No comments:

Post a Comment