Thursday, December 11, 2014

It's only a pencil!

I'm a little bummed today.  Last night I went to Redeemer in New Ulm for their Advent service (and the meal beforehand) and had a good time talking with their congregation members.  I mentioned that I wanted to come back for their Christmas program next Wednesday.  But today Mrs. E asked if I would be able to go to Immanuel's Wednesday night Sunday school next week to go over the Christmas program with them.  And they're at the same time.  Sigh.  I was really looking forward to seeing my Redeemer kids in their Christmas program... but I know this Christmas program should be my priority.  On a happier note, the girls I wrote the Christmas program with back at BLC might come to our program, and my college advisor too! 


We set up risers after school today to prep for our practice tomorrow.  With all the Sunday school kids it's going to be a tight squeeze!  Pastor is okay with us leaving the risers up for church this Sunday, but next Sunday (the day of the program) he wants us to take everything down because we have communion.  That means after church that Sunday we'll have to redecorate everything.


Our goal is accomplished.  We set a new read-aloud record: Prisoner B-3087 has been read in a week.  It was so good, I'm not quite sure how to follow it... To start with, we're reading a short book, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson.  At first the class was like, "Meh... sounds boring."  But once they heard about those rascally Herdmans, they're starting to come around.  My Guess is we'll finish it before Christmas break.  Then... do we start a new book so they have something to think about when we come back in January? Or do we wait and start fresh?   I'm leaning toward the first option.


Today's big dramafest centered around a pencil.  One of the 6th grade girls had a Frozen pencil given to her by a preschooler who didn't want it anymore.  She left it in the coatroom and didn't pick it up right away, so I confiscated it for the SHARP pencil jar in our room.  She threw a fit because she had been about to pick it up when I got to it first.  My explanation to her was, "If it was really that valuable to you, you should've been taking better care of it!"  That didn't make her happy at all.  And then one of the 5th grade boys took it out of the SHARP jar since he needed a pencil.  She was pouting so much, she didn't get any of her spelling done! And all this pouting was done at the top of her lungs so the whole class was distracted.  All morning.  She wouldn't stop talking about it!!!  Finally I made her take a break in the coatroom... where she bawled her eyes out (over a stupid pencil!) and found a ball and shot death glares at whatever classmate had to pass her to use the restroom.  Sigh.  And it doesn't stop there.


The 5th grader was still using the pencil in question during math.  The 6th grader saw it drop and snatched it up quick as she could saying, "You should've been more careful with your stuff!"  Then she hid it so I wouldn't take it away from her again.  She even played the game, "Well you can look through my backpack if you want." all innocent-like.  Ugh.  Wherever she put it, we couldn't find it.  She kept bringing up the pencil situation with the 8th graders, telling her sob story to whoever happened to be nearby.  Most of the time they weren't listening, but every once in a while a word would catch their ear, and they'd ask her a question, "Who took the pencil?"  And then she'd launch into the entire story from the beginning.  All this nonsense over a PENCIL for crying out loud!


At the end of the day, a different 5th grader raised his hand and announced, "Miss H, [6th grader] just said he wished [annoying pencil 6th grader] would get murdered."  *Slam head on desk*  Just what I needed to deal with at the end of the day.  The poor accused kid was in tears.  I don't know if he said it or not, but he denied the whole thing.  We went over AGAIN that something like that should be told to me in private and not blabbed for the whole class to hear.  Or at least written on a tattle card.


Praise God tomorrow is Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment