Monday, December 1, 2014

Waitin' on... Book Orders

Most common phrase of the day, "Miss H, did the book orders come?"  I think I was asked that question at least 10 times today.  AND THEY FINALLY CAME.  Right after basketball practice was over.  But the student who'd been asking me about them was still here, so I gave him his books and his super-cool-spy glove and he was in heaven.


English was quite the experience today.  I was going to go back to working from the book, but everyone wanted to edit their novels.  So I changed my plan about a minute after we started English.  We talked about using strong verbs in our writing to paint a clearer picture in the reader's head.  Then I had them use a highlighter to highlight verbs from newspaper articles.  IT WAS SO HARD!  They had so much trouble with it!  Before we started, I wrote clues on the board: action verbs, being verbs, helping verbs, common endings, etc.  And they still had trouble finding them!  I think it was the articles I had picked.  They were from the Star Tribune, so the reading level was pretty high up there.  If I would've picked easier to read texts, they would've had an easier time of it.  Plus the writing was small.  So.  We will try this activity again at a later date.


One of the 5th graders' moms finally had her baby.  She was due today but had a little girl on Saturday.  Now their family is up to three girls!  There are quite a few sick siblings too.  Seems like a high fever that lasts for days is going around. 


Well, I've put off going out into the cold long enough.  My classroom heater has bumped down to the overnight low setting and it's getting pretty cold in here too.  Plans for tonight: set up the Christmas tree?  Read a book?  Correct papers?  Eh... probably not that last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment