Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Crafty Creatures

Today's big project was making "Crafty Creatures" or tiny little creatures out of scraps/random art supplies and googly eyes.  In science we're learning about ecology and predators/prey/camouflage, so I'm going to hide them in the classroom in specific locations and my kiddos are going to be the predators and try to find them.  Some kids were coming up with very creative ways to make their creatures blend in.  One kid made his look like pencil shavings so it will blend in by the pencil sharpener.  Another made one out of a popsicle stick and colored the end so it would look like the sticks in our stick jar (for drawing names).  A few made theirs black so they'd blend in with the lab table or the sound system.  One boy made his out of toothpicks and popsicle sticks to blend in with the mailboxes.  I can't wait to see how many will be found!


The bummer of the day was lunch.  I was so excited for grilled cheese this morning! It's served with chili, but the grilled cheese is my favorite.  And the cook ran out.  She was letting the younger kids take two full sandwiches (or four halves), and she was short on bread, so only about half my class got grilled cheese.  One of the 4th grade girls dumped her tray while my class was going through.  She had a grilled cheese sandwich she was going to dump... one of the 6th graders yelled, "WAIT! DON'T DO THAT!" and he ran over and grabbed the sandwich before it could reach the trash.  Hmm, not exactly sanitary, but I can't say that I blame him!  So, I didn't get any grilled cheese and neither did the 7th graders.  But there were a lot of fruits and vegetables, so I didn't go away hungry. 


Speaking of fruits and vegetables... my class has been kicking butt on the fruits and vegetables challenge against the 3rd and 4th graders.  After such a close average last week, my class is determined to beat them.  They asked if I'd put a marble in the jar if everyone ate 5 servings of fruits/veggies today.  Why not? So EVERYONE took five and our class total was 75.  That should bump our average up!  Only two days left of the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment