Thursday, February 25, 2016

Sneaky Creatures

Oh today's science class was good!


I had my kiddos put their creatures on their desks before lunch with a post-it note detailing where they wanted to hide them.  I would do the hiding so no one would get an extra peek.  In total, we had 23 creatures to find.


Some kids had fantastic ideas where to hide them.  Others, not so much.  A few wanted to be surprised and let me pick where to put them.  Lots of popsicle sticks were used... some were under the impression that they had to use a popsicle stick in the design.  It wasn't a requirement though.  Many of those creatures ended up in the stick jars.  One got put on the black music stand to blend in.  A white stick got stuck to the edge of a white shelf.  A black, bug-like creature ended up tucked in the 3-hole punch that sits out.  A brown bug-like creature ended up tucked into the brown paper "root" in the reading corner.  One that was painted yellow ended up sitting in the yellow chain of our church year chain hung from the ceiling.  The sneakiest creature was a tiny blue paper clip with a chunk of wood stuck inside... that one ended up hooked on the blue corner of an art project hanging on the wall. 


They had so much fun looking for the creatures!  And the reveal was even better.  A lot of kids were like, "OHHH! I can't believe I didn't see that one!"


...We finished our read-aloud book today.  We probably should've waited and split the pages in half... we read for an hour and a half... They were attentive the whole time! And they worked on their spelling, handwriting, and Student Treasures projects (or organized their crates), so they were productive too.  I probably would've waited, but the Bookmobile comes on Thursdays, and this book was checked out from the Bookmobile and I've had it a long time.  So we finished it.  And still had time to get three Daily 5 rounds in.  Now I need to decide what to read next... there's a book I have in mind, but I don't own a copy, and won't get to the library before tomorrow.  Mrs. B has an Amazon prime account, which ships items in two days, so she is going to order it for me.  But what to read in the meantime? Maybe some more traditional folk tales...

No comments:

Post a Comment