Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Adjectives

Our read aloud book has a super genius main character who keeps her smarts a secret because she wants to 'be normal'. The truth comes out and when she's feeling particularly down about the way things have been going for her, one of her teachers (a librarian) asks her, "Why do you think you are so smart?" We had a good class discussion about that, how God gave each of us talents and what we should do with them. I said I have a connection to that librarian because I am excited to see what my students (past and present) will do with all the talents I see in them. Then my kiddos wanted to know what I think their talents are.

So I turned it into an English lesson! Some other teachers had given me the idea for a neat teacher gift to their students. They have the students write three positive adjectives that describe each classmate.  Then, secretly of course, the teacher puts them into a Wordle (a picture made of words where words used more often appear bigger than the other words) for each student and frames them. That's my plan for Christmas presents this year. Now to find 11 picture frames...

Couch update: As requested by my students, I showed them a picture of my couch. They thought it looked super comfortable, but it's not the same as the ones their families got.

No comments:

Post a Comment