Tuesday, December 12, 2017

The Nativity Story

We read Luke 1 today in class, well, we started to. We only made it up to the part where Mary gets to Elizabeth's house before it was time to stop (actually, we went over our religion time). They really wanted to start the movie today and convinced me that we could watch the movie up to the part that we'd read about in the Bible today.

They were so in to the movie, we watched the whole thing today, haha, big surprise right? I had been pausing it to explain a few things, historical/cultural things the movie did well. As expected, some of them were frustrated at how often I paused the movie. They wanted to keep watching! But then they'd have questions too, so it was fine. About a half an hour into the movie (it's 1:40min), we'd reached the part we'd read up to in the Bible. And they wanted to keep going. In my mind, I'd already kind of thought to just keep watching, but they thought they had to convince me.

"But Miss H, we should watch it all today so we can keep the movie fresh in our minds."
"We already know this story! We talk about it every year!"
"Plus on Thursday when we finish reading the rest of the Bible chapters, we'll be able to make connections to the movie."
"And we'll give up our read to someone round!"

So I was convinced. We took another bathroom break and they gathered up their hats and coats from the coatroom (It's cold on the floor! There isn't much insulation in my classroom) so we all bundled up and settled in. Another teacher told me she had heard my kids in the hallway this morning gushing over what a good teacher I am and how I'm the best teacher in the world since we got to watch the whole movie today. Oh kids are funny!

Sigh. I'm glad they enjoyed it so much. That movie is so good. I love it. It might become my new Christmas tradition to watch it every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment