Saturday, July 27, 2024

Emily, Emily, Quite Contrary, How Does Your Garden Grow?

Eh, still pretty slow, although I have harvested a little produce!

The other night, G and I weeded and put down more landscape fabric to kill the grass. The grass has overgrown our potatoes and onions and choked a few of the plants out. 

Can you spot the potato plants in this jungle???

I pulled up some of the dead potato plants to see if they'd managed to grow anything... just a numb a smidge bigger than a hazelnut. 


I weeded the row of onions, hoping to find a few survivors. There are a few hangers-on!

I left those and dug up the ones with dead tops. 

The garlic tops are dried out too, so I pulled all but two of those (picture at the end). Not the big garlic bulbs I expected, but garlic nonetheless.

Our kohlrabi looks good! I picked one to take in the house and left the others growing a little longer.

The cabbage is forming heads, and as of right now doesn't have too many bug holes.

We have okra! 

The carrots are pretty tiny yet. These are from the row we planted last fall. 

I'm no radish expert, so maybe these aren't ready, but I was ready to pick them, so here we are. 😅

Broccoli. Some bolted, some look like they're forming heads. 

My vining plants haven't naturally grown up the trellis; they're growing out instead. Tonight I wound them through hoping they'll follow my lead. (And my lettuce looks ready!) Some zucchini looked ready too!

The tomatoes and peppers just won't grow! But they are slowly producing a few fruits. 

Here's my final haul, minus a couple beans and peas I tested for quality control, my hand as a size reference.


No comments:

Post a Comment