Wednesday, July 31, 2024

2/7ths to Go

I'm down to two county fairs to judge. Fair season is short and it goes quickly! 

Yesterday I judged indoor gardening for the first time. I don't have a ton of plant knowledge, but I do know some things and I know how to ask questions, so I figured I could handle it. 

The day before in a different county, I asked the veggie judge next to me for a crash course and she gave me good questions to ask: how did you choose your pot, what kind of materials are inside your pot, how long have you had the plant, how do you care for it, where do you keep it in your house, do you fertilize it, what kind of plant is it? 

Many of the kids I judged brought succulents or cacti, in which I am well versed. I was able to give quite a few of them pointers, and the ribbon placings weren't too tricky to manage. 

There are three age categories that can earn champ/reserve. Interestingly, there were a lot of contenders in the youngest group and oldest group. The middle group didn't have much. The girl who won that category brought a project of homemade soil and three plants she grew from cuttings. The guy who got second place in the youngest category bought his plant from the garden center G works at!

No comments:

Post a Comment