Battle of the nests is going on in our shed... The chickens love to lay their eggs up in the haymow, but they keep scratching all of the straw down so there's no bedding for them to lay in. I'm attempting to solve this problem by building a few more nesting boxes - some up in the haymow, and some down below. We'll see how they like their new options!
It was a pretty quick build- leftover wood scraps screwed together into a box. Jaron handed me screws.
Here are the haymow nesting options:
Now filled with straw to entice them in:
Since we have so many layers, I added a few more boxes next to their favorite laying spot. I'm hoping the taller wood will entice them in.
To further entice them, I had my little helper "seed" the nests with fake eggs.
Do you think it will work? Which nesting boxes will become their new favorite?




No comments:
Post a Comment