Monday, November 17, 2014

Blowing Away

Yesterday morning, the weather was beautiful!  I don't know what the afternoon was like since I stayed inside after church, but one of my students said the parking lot outside my apartment was a mess Sunday afternoon.  I guess I'll have to take her word for it.


I did get a lot accomplished yesterday.  My Nano story is now on track... I wrote about 5,000 words yesterday!  And I got most of my lessons roughly outlined for the week (that means I just need to add pictures).  Unfortunately, my computer is still not cooperating.  More tabs opening and closing all on their own, no highlighting abilities, and the worst... not being able to use the screenshot feature in Microsoft Word.  Now, it takes a lot for me to give up on something when it's not working.  Today I actually got too frustrated and gave up on adding pictures to tomorrow's geography lesson.  My plan is to bring my laptop from home and add the pictures tomorrow morning at school.


In other news, a church member volunteered to pay for my garage rent for the rest of the winter.  Praise the Lord! 


Tomorrow, the Immanuelites (LWML group of our church) are making fleece tie blankets for an organization in Mankato that gives them out to homeless people.  They made an announcement in church and I was kind of bummed when they said they were starting at 9:00am on Tuesday.  And then I had a brilliant idea!  Why not bring my class over to help?  Not sure if the ladies would want 13 5th and 6th graders descending on them all at once, I asked one of the chairladies and she said it would be wonderful!  Apparently they had $200 to spend on fabric.  And they kept getting discounts and discounts and discounts, so they have a ton of fabric to work with.  We're only going over for a half an hour in the morning (I might bring the 8th graders over for a bit in the afternoon), but I'm sure we can get a lot accomplished.  My class is pretty excited (at least the vocal ones).  They're all going to bring their heavy-duty scissors tomorrow!


Today the most exciting thing to happen was when I showed my class the picture I got this weekend at the Pipestone gun show.  My brothers convinced me to go along with them, and I found a tin daguerreotype at one of the booths.  The seller said it was probably from the Civil War era.  If they have a frame and the seller knows who the person is in the picture, they can go for about $200.  Mine is plain and doesn't have a frame.  And we don't know who the lady is.  He was going to charge $15, but I told him I was a teacher, so he let me have it for $10.  Anyway, my class was very impressed with it.  They all wanted to sniff it... and they thought it smelled like gunpowder.  I don't smell anything.


All day the snow has been blowing and swirling around school.  Nothing is sticking to the roads; it's just really hard to see.  My kids kept asking if school was going to be called off.  And what if the buses couldn't get to school?  And what if the buses couldn't drive on the roads?  It really wasn't that bad, it just looked bad.  This afternoon while my students were at PE I drove to the bank in Courtland to fill out paperwork for the SCRIP program account.  I'm not going to be in charge; I just get to be the other signature on the checks.  So that was a fun little excursion into the weather.  I was pretty bundled up, but I can't find my headband anywhere!  I've looked all over my apartment and it's not in any of the usual places.  I guess it's time to check in the unusual places.  Hopefully I find it soon since it's supposed to be windy and cold the rest of this week.  But Sunday will be about 34 degrees!  Perfect temperature to put up the plastic on my porch, eh Dad?  Hint. Hint.


Well, it's time for me to brave the cold weather again.  I think the blowing snow has died down for now.  I heard the snow blower guy blowing snow from the school parking lot a little while ago; hopefully no more has blown in since then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment