Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Christmas is Coming!

The big news of today was picking out our Christmas gift exchange partners.  My students wanted to do boys and boys and girls and girls, but I just stuck all the names in a bucket and had them get who they get.

The way we do our gift exchange is a little different than normal classrooms.  Each person writes the initials of one thing they want for Christmas.  For example, P.S.  The person who gets the name/letters has to guess what that person wants for Christmas.  Maybe a pencil sharpener? Or a pink shovel?  Or purple string?  The list goes on and on.

My kids had some trouble figuring out what they wanted.  I had about six of them come up to me at the end of the day asking if they could change their letters.  So we wrote their names on the board and their new letters.  Hopefully the person that got them wrote down the new letters!

One of the 6th graders said he was going to get me a scarf for Christmas.  Boy, he knows me well.  One of the 6th grade girls got really excited and said, "Miss H, I know what I want to get you for Christmas, but I have to check with my mom first.  Oh you're going to be so excited!"  Now I'm curious...

The only other thing of note today was getting stuff set up for playing bells on Sunday.  We loaded up the bell cases in my car (and packed the empty space full of 6th and 8th graders) and unpacked everything at church.  I've never witnessed any of this setup since Mrs. M used to do it all.  I had to rely on the 8th graders to know what to do, tucking away the information for next time.  We need to practice one of the songs some more, Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow.  There are a bunch of fermatas, which makes the song harder.  And there's one measure that has an eighth note played by ONE person who can't figure out when to play it.  So the plan is to go over tomorrow... in the bitter wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment