Thursday, October 13, 2016

Late Night

Another late night.  This time, because of volleyball.

It was our last away game, vs. Janesville.  The B team played hard, but only won one game of three (we came super close in the last game!). The last two were real nail-biters.  The A squad played well too and won all three games. They were super pumped! And they even did a little bit of bump-set-spike.  I had a few kids riding in my car on the way back, so that's how I ended up at school so late again.

Since our games were after soccer, I had a little more time at school to get things done, but when I left I still had a few things to finish up.  Hopefully I won't be here too much later!

Today was frustrating.  The church janitor stopped by around noon to tell me that because of the funeral on Saturday, we should put most of the bell stuff away after we practice today so it's not in the way and people don't mess with it.  Meh.  That ended up not being a big deal; we just put the bells and folders in the side room and the kids can get them Sunday morning before they play. Most will be here early with their parents setting up for the dinner.  Then the janitor tacked on that the guest pastor (since Pastor B is in Guatemala on a mission scouting trip) wants to use the conference room Saturday morning.  Wait... that means we can't set up Silent Auction stuff in there Friday night.  Grrr... I had been planning to set all that up Friday so I could take Saturday completely off from school stuff.

After school I talked to the other Silent Auction helper/in-charge person and she said she'd heard from a lot of other people that we should just go ahead and use the conference room, it would be fine.  Even so, she called the guest pastor after school just to be sure it was okay. I haven't heard otherwise, so I think it's okay for us to set up on Friday. Whew!

As frustrating as all that was, today was still a good day. We got a lot of learning accomplished... the MN fur trade, how to invent villains for our stories, Central South America...

Two of my former students from Janesville (where I did some student teaching) recognized me and said hi after the volleyball game.  They were two of my favorites, so it made me happy that they remembered me. (I have a lot of favorite students from that class)...

At the soccer game, a mom told me a funny story about her daughter in my class.  For reading, I have little meetings with each student each week to talk about the book they read.  I bring along a binder to take notes in and on one page I have a post-it note to write down book recommendations for the student as I think of them. I thought this particular student would really enjoy the book "Awkward", a graphic novel about a girl in art club trying to get through middle school, so I'd written the title on the post-it, but nothing else.  She had seen my note and had no clue what it meant.  Did I think she was awkward? Why would I write that? Now she's finally reading the book (and loves it, by the way), and she came clean to her mom about her worry that I thought she was awkward.  Her mom asked how long she had been worried about it.  "17 days" was her response.  Holy cow! This poor girl had been worrying about this for SEVENTEEN days?!?! And never felt she could mention it to her mom or me? It's funny and sad at the same time.  Her mom said that her daughter said after she found out Awkward was a book, she felt a huge weight lift off her shoulders.  Whew! That's a relief! I guess I should be more careful about what I write!

And on that note, I am going to go home and get some supper (finally), put my feet up, pop in a movie, and correct papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment