Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Family Write Night

Today had some unplanned moments.  Last night, after I was done at school my low tire pressure light went on as I left.  Lovely.  It was late, I was tired, and I still had a bunch of errands to run.  New Ulm is the closest place to fill up with air, so I went to town and pumped up the tire.  Then I ran errands and tested the tire before I went home.  It was slightly lower and I worried I'd have a flat tire in the morning.

My plan was to, in the morning right after I got up, check the psi in my finicky tire.  If it were flat, I would call Pastor to see if he could help me put the spare on.  This morning, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it had only gone down about 5psi. Which gave me enough to air to get to school, but I'd need to get it fixed sooner rather than later.  Normally I could go after school, but tonight was the Family Writing Night, hosted by me in my classroom until 7:00.  By then all the tire places would be closed.

Here's how my problem got solved: Once I got to school, I called the tire place and made an appointment for 2:15.  Miss F (preschool and Title teacher) would watch my class at afternoon recess and dismiss them at the end of the day while I got my tire fixed.  Hopefully it would only take a half an hour to fix, and I'd be back to school by 3:00 when the event started.

It happened pretty much like that, except it took an hour to fix.  So I was a half an hour late to the write-in.  Thankfully, other teachers were helping, so they got things set up (my kids arranged the room with Miss F before they left for the day).  By the time I got there, there were about 20 people writing and playing story games.  It was super fun! Lots of families came and wrote and told stories together.  Kids were sharing their writing with each other and writing letters to each other (or to other friends who hadn't come).  One NaNoer came and one family from Nicollet came; the rest were families from ILS.  Mr. D got some good pictures for the paper/yearbook/projectors at church.

We only had one pizza left over (and a few carrots and pretzels).  So good guessing on my part! One of the moms cleaned the leftovers up for me; we'll eat them at snack tomorrow.  There are still 10 minutes to go for Writing Night, but the last people just left (and my laptop is dying), so I think I'm going to head home even though my classroom is kind of a mess... my kiddos can clean it up tomorrow morning.

All in all, I'd say our first writing night was a smashing success!

No comments:

Post a Comment