Wednesday, November 2, 2016

The Chair Battle

Every day I'm always shoving in chairs.  It seems that every time I turn around, another chair has been pulled out and I have to push it in so no one trips over it!

It's probably because our desks are new this year, this time with separate desks/chairs unlike the previous model.  The students don't think to push their chairs in, but our walkways are so narrow, it's easy to trip if the chair is left in the wrong place.

We also have two folding tables surrounded by chairs.  My class will do small group stuff there, sometimes independent work throughout the rounds.  But that means different people are sitting in different places and they're still forgetting to push them in!  Sometimes, just to irritate each other, they'll tip their neighbor's chair on its end so the seat/back is touching the floor.

And the 7th and 8th graders, sigh, are no better when it comes to pushing in chairs.  But such is life.  I could have much worse problems in my room!

I set out my treasure trove of prizes today.  The end of the quarter is Friday and also the end of the first week of NaNo.  It's time to do BINGO prizes! Plus every 500 words in NaNo result in either a piece of candy or a medium to large prize.  We do these at the end of the week.  Some kiddos have been writing a ton! I still have two boys who haven't started yet. :(  One of them says he'll write a lot over the weekend.  Hopefully he's right!  He was having trouble focusing today.

One of the 6th graders thought we should do the "no talking game" today.  We played it last year, so you might remember the rules... you can only say three words, and can only speak when the teacher calls on you.  Normally we do boys vs. girls, but today they voted to do 5th vs. 6th.  End results: 5th=35, 6th= 19.  The morning was the biggest challenge.  After math, they'd gotten the hang of it and we didn't count the random blurting in the tally.  I must admit, I got sick of calling on them, thinking they had a question about the lesson, only to find they were actually tattling on their classmates.  They were honest today!  Many times I didn't hear them talk, but they admitted that they did say some words.  So that's good!

One 5th grade boy was having trouble remembering he wasn't supposed to talk.  He got maybe half the class's points.  The rest of his grade, one girl in particular, kept making snide comments to him about him being the worst at the game.  It was terrible!  I had a chat with her at lunch time.  Mr. E happened to be sitting right there too so we both confronted her on the issue.  She's supposed to be writing an apology note to him... hmm... I wonder if she ever got that done?  Another thing to add to the to do list!  Every time I think it's getting shorter, another five things gets added to the list.  Oh well.  Tomorrow's Thursday! And Thursdays are always good days.

No comments:

Post a Comment